Silver Partner Ziegler just published a short article that profiles both the history and future of the LPC model. From a historical perspective, the distinction between ‘purpose-built’ and ‘non-purpose built’ LPCs was defined; today, 59% of LPCs were designed to offer the full continuum, and the remaining 41% evolved from humbler beginnings into the present form. Four trends that are observed as LPCs evolve include: 1) name and branding changes, 2) skilled nursing changes, reductions, or closures, 3) contract diversification, and 4) scale. Trends in affiliation and acquisition were also briefly discussed, and relatedly, the number of LPC multi-sites has increased. The growing prevalence of higher-acuity AL (where permitted by regulation, predominantly in the western US states) and newly-built LPCs without SNFs signal other important changes – or challenges – the LPC definition.

Previous articleKING Summer Zoom Calls
Next articleIntroducing the HR E-List for Member HR Professionals
Debra is LeadingAge Kansas’ President and CEO. She leads the overall affairs of the association, works closely with the Board of Directors, and is responsible for the implementation of the strategic plan, oversight of financial resources, and of course, inspiring and leading the team. Additionally, she’s the primary spokesperson for the association, the liaison to LeadingAge National, and serves as the President and CEO of the association’s sister organizations, the Foundation and Employee Benefits, Inc. Her commitment and passion for aging services stems out of her deep love for her grandparents. She finds that helping the association’s members make a difference in the lives of the people they serve and being part of an organization that is not content simply preserving the status quo, are her favorite parts of her job. Debra, her husband, and their dog love traveling the open road together in a tiny 5th wheel Scamp. You can contact her directly at 785.233.7443 ext. 111.